Sony RX10 III Book Cover for LSI.indd

Photographer’s Guide to the Sony DSC-RX10 III

Overview:

Photographer’s Guide to the Sony DSC-RX10 III is similar to the earlier books by Alexander White about the DSC-RX10 and DSC0RX10 II. This book has been completely revised to cover the new features of the RX10 III, including a new lens with 600mm optical zoom, new control buttons, and new menu options.

$9.95

iBooks
$9.99

ibooks-button

Kobo
$9.99

kobo-button

The paperback version of this book is 245 pages long, and includes more than 450 color images that illustrate the menus, controls, and display screens of the Sony DSC-RX10 III camera. The book includes examples of images that can be taken with the camera’s shooting modes and creative settings, including Creative Style, Picture Effects, Picture Profile, HDR, and others. The book explains all menu options and other features of the camera, and provides tips for getting excellent results using the camera’s options for still images and video recording. You can click on the links here to view the book’s complete index or table of contents, to see some some sample photos from the book, or to read an excerpt from the book.

The book includes information about all new features of this model, including the 24mm-600mm zoom lens, the new Focus Hold button and new options such as Zoom Assist, Focus Hold, and Gamma Display Assist.

Product Details

• Paperback: 245 pages
  • Publisher: White Knight Press
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1937986543 (paperback)
  • ISBN-13: 978-1-937986-54-4 (paperback)
  • Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 11 x 1 inches
Choose your guide
Need another guide?

17 thoughts on “Photographer’s Guide to the Sony DSC-RX10 III

1. Pingback: Sony RX10 III Book Available as Ebook | White Knight Press

2. Pingback: Sony RX10 III Book Now in Paperback | White Knight Press

3. Pingback: White Knight Press Releases Complete Guide Book for Sony DSC-RX10 III Digital Camera - Press Release Rocket

4. Claude GUILLEMIN

Mr WHITE bonjour,
    I have a question concerning the setting of the Bracketing on the Sony RX10 III. In your book page 52 Continuous Exposure Bracketing you write “When you highlight this option you will see a horizontal triangle…”
    I cannot highlight the bracketing icons of the differentsv options. Please how the bracketing icon must be highlighted ?
    Thank you for your help.
    Regards
    Claude Guillemin

1. Alex White Post author

It sounds to me as if you have an inconsistent setting in place. For example, you cannot use exposure bracketing in Intelligent Auto mode, Scene mode, or Sweep Panorama mode, and you cannot use exposure bracketing if Multi Frame Noise Reduction is set for ISO, or if the Auto HDR setting is turned on. Check those settings, and see if that helps.

5. henk van de bovenkamp

Mr White,

Thanks for your helpfull book! Two questions:

1. In your book you say:

Does that mean that the camere in Clear Image Zoom focusses on the whole scene that is visible? And not for exemple on the center? So that it is impossible to focus on the little bird in the center?

2. Is MF-assist and Focus Magnifier available after choosing Clear Image Zoom?

Regards,
    Henk van de Bovenkamp

6. henk van de bovenkamp

Mr Whtie,

Thanks for your book. Two questions remain for me:

1. In your book you say: When the lens is zoomed in to the range of Clear Image Zoom or Digital Zoom and autofocus is in use, the Focus Area menu option is disabled and the camera uses a broad focus frame, which is represented by a dotted area like that seen in Figure 7-34.

Does that mean that it is impossible to focus on the bird in the center because the camera focusses on the whole visible scene?

2. Is MF-assist and/or Focus Magnifier available when using Clear Image Zoom

1. Alex White Post author

Hello — Thanks for your comment. I’ll try to answer both questions:

1. Yes, when the lens is actually zoomed into the range beyond optical zoom, the camera will not use the Focus Area setting, but will use the entire frame as outlined within the dotted line, instead. The camera may still focus on a bird in the center of that frame, but you cannot force the camera to focus on the center.

2. Yes, both MF Assist and Focus Magnifier are available when using Clear Image Zoom, as long as other conditions permit their use. For example, naturally, for MF Assist to work, the camera must be set to manual focus using the focus switch.

— Alex White
      White Knight Press

1. henk van de bovenkamp

Thanks for your reply!

One more afterthought: what about Smart Zoom and Smart Teleconverter (I assume they work the same)? Is choosing the focus area then possible?

1. Alex White Post author

Yes, that is correct. When either Smart Zoom or Smart Teleconverter is in use, the camera will use the broad focus frame instead of the Focus Area menu setting.

7. henk van de bovenkamp

Thanks for your answers!

I bought your book to discover the possibillities of the RX10 III. Untill now I use the Canon SX60HS, mainly for birdwatching. The big challenge is to make photo’s of birds that are small or far away or hidden in the trees. Although I am pleased with the Canon I hope to improve image quality a lot with the RX10 III.
    From what you explained I guess I could be a good choice to choose DMF as focus mode so that I have the possibility to choose (in situations where I want to make a photo of a bird, small of far away):
    1. to use optical zoom with the possibility to choose the focus area (perhaps using MF-assist to see for a moment what I am aiming at)
    2. to use Clear Image Zoom with the chance that the camera picks the wrong focus area. In that case MF-assist could help to get the right focus (when bird gives me enough time!) when autofocus fails.

What do you think?

1. Alex White Post author

The RX10 III provides so many options for focusing that it’s hard to choose one set of options over another; a lot depends on the specific circumstances of the shooting session. Your suggested procedures sound fine. For number one, you could assign Focus Magnifier to a control button and use the S or C setting for autofocus, and press the assigned button when you wanted to magnify the focus area. Also, instead of using Clear Image Zoom, you might consider just using optical zoom, and crop the image to enlarge the area with the bird. Then you could still use the Focus Area settings.

8. Russell Glindmeier

Hi Alex,

I need to shoot some video with my RX10 M3 for documentation purposes. I would like to imprint the running date and time into the video file. From your book, I see there is a menu setting to do that for still photos, but not for video. Do you know of a way to do this? I have Lightroom CC and Adobe Premier Elements if either of those could be used to add a date/time stamp to the viewable video file. I also have a Nikon D800E that I could use, if that would make a difference.

Russ

1. Alex White Post author

Hi, Russ — I am not sure if Premiere Elements can do this; I don’t have that program. I believe Premiere Pro CC can do it, though I have not tried it. You can use the camera’s Time Code options to display the current time while recording, as discussed in Chapter 7, though you would need to take further steps in your editing software to make the time information appear in the finished footage. I did a quick search online and found various discussions of this issue, including mention of some plug-ins and other programs that might be able to do this, but I’m afraid I don’t have experience with the process myself.

9. Russell Glindmeier

Thanks, Alex. I did the same search, and basically had the same results as you. There must be some technical reason it can’t be done in-camera, which is too bad, because it would be the easiest solution for this particular situation.