Photographer’s Guide to the Sony DSC-RX10 IV

Overview:

Photographer’s Guide to the Sony DSC-RX10 IV is similar to earlier books by Alexander White about the DSC-RX10,  DSC-RX10 II, and DSC-RX10 III. This book has been completely revised to cover the features of the RX10 IV, including a new autofocus system, touch screen capability, Bluetooth connectivity, and new menu options.

$9.95

Kobo
$9.99

kobo-button

Nook
$9.99
barnes-and-noble-button

The paperback version of this book is 269 pages long, and includes more than 500 color images that illustrate the menus, controls, and display screens of the Sony DSC-RX10 IV camera. The book includes examples of images that can be taken with the camera’s shooting modes and creative settings, including Creative Style, Picture Effects, Picture Profile, HDR, and others. The book explains all menu options and other features of the camera, and provides tips for getting excellent results using the camera’s options for still images and video recording. You can click on the links here to view the book’s complete index or table of contents, to see some some sample photos from the book, or to read an excerpt from the book.

The book includes information about all new features of this model, including new features for autofocus, touch screen capability, Bluetooth connectivity, and new or enhanced menu options.

Product Details

• Paperback: 269 pages
  • Publisher: White Knight Press
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1937986667 (paperback)
  • ISBN-13: 978-1-937986-66-7 (paperback)
  • Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 11 x 1 inches
Choose your guide
Need another guide?

30 thoughts on “Photographer’s Guide to the Sony DSC-RX10 IV

1. Pingback: Sony RX10 IV Book Available to Download | White Knight Press

2. Pingback: Touch Screen Features of Sony RX10 IV | White Knight Press

3. Pingback: Sony RX10 IV Book Now Out in Paperback | White Knight Press

4. Pingback: Video on Accessories for the RX10 IV | White Knight Press

5. Pingback: Tethered Shooting with the Sony RX10 IV | White Knight Press

6. Pingback: Sony RX10 IV Minimum Focus Distance | White Knight Press

7. Viktor Viulliger

Hello, I bought yesterday evening the book Sony RX 10 IV. However I did not get a link for download. Please inform how to proceed. Thank you.

8. Michael Tingle

Just the guide I needed to help me understand the rx10iv. Well written, easy to read and doesn’t assume too much or talk down to you. Levels of detail without being tedious. Would definitely recommend. Thanks Alex White!

9. Ranald Lamb

I am a new RX10 IV owner and am awaiting delivery of your book (approx. 1 month !). In the meantime can you confirm if it’s possible to set the focus frame to the center in AUTO mode so that it stays there & doesn’t have to be reset every time the camera is switched on? This is for shooting wild butterflies where speed is essential or the shot may be missed.
    Best wishes
    Ranald Lamb

1. Alex White Post author

Hello — No, in Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto modes, the Focus Area option is fixed at Wide, so the camera will focus on the closest subject it finds. You can touch the screen to direct the focus point, but you can’t fix the focus point in the center using the Focus Area option in those shooting modes. You could use a mode such as Program, with Focus Area set to Center or Flexible Spot to accomplish this.

1. Ranald Lamb

Thanks for your reply. I have been using your book(Focus Area pp 62/63/64) which is readable and clear. However, in Program mode can you suggest how/if I can fix the focus area frame, set to ‘small’ in Flexible Spot, permanently in the centre so that it is always there whenever the camera is switched on. I find that it often moves to bottom left or elsewhere on the screen. Can this be done please, and if so, how?
        Thanks
        Ranald Lamb

1. Alex White Post author

It sounds to me as if you may have the touch screen functions turned on, and that something touches the screen, causing the focus frame to move. You could turn off the touch screen features, and then the Flexible Spot focus frame should stay in the center of the frame unless you use one of the other ways to move the frame purposely.

1. Ranald Lamb

Thankyou so much – that seems to be the solution, and I’m sorry to be so stupid!

10. Weihong Xu

Do you have ebook version, since I like to print it out and don’t like to read on Kindle. Thanks

1. Alex White Post author

Hello — Yes, the book is available in three ebook formats: PDF, ePub, and mobi (Kindle). If you purchase it through my site, you will receive links for all three of those formats. The book also is available in a paperback version. Here is a link to the page with links for purchasing the various versions. If you click on the BUY EBOOK button, you will be able to purchase the bundle of all three versions. If you have further questions, let me know. Thanks.

11. Weihong Xu

I just bought the Kindle book, but would like PDF to download. Would you please send me the PDF file of the book? Thanks.

12. Robin Brockway

Hello Alex
    Excellent book!
    As previous comment I bought through amazon and would greatly appreciate a pdf download too.
    One thing I’m figuring out with this camera is the aperture “sweetspot”. Coming from an SLR past I’d assumed that the higher the aperture setting the better the lens would perform (obviously with greater DOF), however my tests seem to show F4 as giving the finest detail/performance etc. I haven’t read all of your book so perhaps you have this covered, grateful if you have any advice… F16 looks positively rough!
    Also with traditional SLRs one could read off the DOF as one adjusted the aperture on the lens, is there any way of telling what the DOF is for certain aperture/zoom settings? I’m aware that focus setup covers this but I have the impression that the multipoint focus blocks using “WIDE” show what is in focus at the same distance from the lens rather than showing all in focus ie full DOF. I may have missed something and this camera is so much more complicated than what went before so grateful for any advice and forgive me if I’m appearing as a complete simpleton!
    Thanks and best regards,
    Robin

13. Ranald Lamb

Hi Alex – I would value seeing your reply to Robin, since I am also interested in the same issue of DOF versus Aperture. Would that be possible please?
    Ranald

1. Alex White Post author

Hello, Ranald — The only information I have on that point is that you can go to the Live View Display option on the Camera Settings2 menu, set it to Setting Effect On, and the camera will then show the effects of the current aperture and shutter speed setting when you press the shutter button down halfway. In this way, you can get an idea of the depth of field at the current aperture setting.

— Alex

14. Weldon Underhill

Hi. Like some of the others, I also bought the book through Amazon and would love to have a PDF version. And then discovered this site as I was reading the book. Great book, by the way. It has allowed me to make a fairly easy transition from my Canon SX50.
    Thanks
    Weldon

15. Andrew Wilson

Alex, just bought the Kindle version of this book from Amazon and it’s a life saver as the Sony documentation is woeful. I’d appreciate the pdf version too please. Many thanks.